The benefits of massage therapy go beyond relaxation. Regular massage therapy treatments can effectively reduce muscle tension, improve circulation and flexibility, reduce or eliminate joint pain, and improve immune system functioning.
Deep tissue massage, cupping, and craniosacral therapy are some of the many techniques that our massage therapists utilize to customize an individual treatment plan to suit each of our clients’ needs.
Summit’s registered massage therapists have completed 2200 hours of formalized training and have successfully treated patients for over two and half decades combined.
What can massage therapy treat?
Massage therapy is a powerful tool to treat plenty of health issues, including:
- Inflammatory conditions like arthritis
- Tired aching, or cramped muscles
- Muscle deterioration
- Stress relief
- Headaches and migraines
- Muscle spasms, strains and sprains
- Neck/back pain
- Post-injury conditions
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Chronic Pain/fibromyalgia
- Whiplash injuries
- Post-surgical issues
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Pregnancy related pain
With therapeutic massage, our body releases endorphins, or natural pain killers, that can reduce our heart rate and lower our blood pressure. Did you know that 60 minutes of massage can have a similar effect as a full night’s sleep on your heart and blood pressure? Contact us today to book your massage therapy appointment.
Our Massage Therapy Services
When you come to our clinic for massage therapy, you’ll receive a complete customized treatment plan based on your individual needs. Our registered massage therapists will use a combination of various massage therapy techniques to get you feeling better, fast! Some of the techniques and services our massage therapists provide include:
- Therapeutic massage
- RAPID Neurofascial Reset
- Massage therapy for people living with cancer
- Trigger point therapy
- Seniors massage
- Swedish relaxation massage
- Microcurrent Point Stimulation (MPS Scar Release Therapy and Dolphin Neurostim MPS)
- Craniosacral Therapy
- Lymphatic Drainage
Ready to book your appointment? Contact our team today!
Benefits Of Massage Therapy
The benefits of massage therapy include:
- Increases blood flow to limbs. Increasing circulation is the most important benefit! Good circulation can become increasingly difficult as we age so massage therapy helps the flow of blood into the limbs and throughout our body.
- Improves balance and gait. Massage therapy’s ability to increase blood flow to the limbs helps improve the sense of relative position of your body parts, thus improving our balance and reducing our chances of falling.
- Softens tight muscles and tissues. Massage therapy helps to soften muscles and tissues by increasing blood flow and ultimately reducing overall muscle tension. As we age, our muscles become less extensible and lose flexibility, massage therapy helps to keep them limber and soft.
- Stimulates the nervous system. Massage therapy releases endorphins, hormones, and neurotransmitters that are beneficial for the functioning of the nervous system. Research has continually supported therapeutic massage and the enormous benefits on the body including serotonin and dopamine, the happy hormone!
- Eases stroke recovery. Research has shown that following a stroke, seniors need to become as active as soon as possible and are advised to get up and move. Massage therapy is a major aid to this because it helps to reduce the muscle and soft tissue tension that results from reduced mobility and the neurological changes stemming from the stroke.
- Increase flexibility. It’s important to help tight muscles relax! Massage therapy softens up tight muscles and joints, enabling a wider range of motion for your daily activities.
- Improves sleep. The relaxation benefit of massage extends well beyond the massage table. Therapeutic massage continues to help some clients sleep through the night when they otherwise wouldn’t.
- Improves immune system functioning. Massage therapy releases toxins and supports the overall functioning of the immune system which is why people who get massages are sick far less than people who don’t!
- Relieves arthritis pain. Massage therapy isn’t ever going to cure arthritis, but it helps to lessen the joint and muscle pain by reducing the tension in muscles affected by arthritis and by increasing the blood flow to the joints.
Frequently asked questions
Is massage therapy covered by benefits?
Most benefits will cover massage therapy from a registered massage therapist but we recommend double-checking with your insurance provider prior to making an appointment. We also offer direct billing for those with qualifying coverage.
What are the benefits of getting a massage at Summit Physiotherapy & Massage Therapy compared to a local spa?
Massage therapists at Summit Physiotherapy & Massage Therapy and massage therapists at local spas are as equally trained these days and offer the same levels of care and treatment plans. However, the biggest difference between spa massages and massages at a therapeutic clinic is the expectation of the client.
Often people going to a spa will not expect a therapeutic massage but a relaxing treatment, whereas if a person books a massage at a clinic, the expectation is that it may not be relaxing, but deeper and more rehabilitative. If a massage therapist works in a therapeutic clinic setting, then their skills usually become geared towards their clients’ needs, which would be rehabilitative or therapeutic in nature.
Therapeutic massages performed at our clinic factor in your current concerns, your medical history, and your massage preferences to plan an appropriate treatment to relieve both pain and stress. Often our massage therapists work alongside other health care providers such as physiotherapists and chiropractors to ensure all your therapeutic needs are addressed. A registered massage therapist at Summit can assess if a massage is the appropriate treatment, or if another treatment method would be better suited.
What are the benefits of a therapeutic massage at a clinic?
The benefits of visiting a clinic (like ours) for your massage is that our registered massage therapists are familiar with the different modalities of massage therapy, and tailor each patient’s treatment accordingly. What clinics lack in over-the-top spa ambience, they make up for in specialization and treatment styles that truly make a difference to your long term health and mobility.
For example, the massage given to an elderly client with arthritis is different from the massage given to a competitive athlete with a muscle injury. Massage techniques for patients with injuries, clients seeking relaxation, and expectant mothers all require different kinds of care.
What is RAPID Neurofascial Reset massage therapy?
RAPID Neurofascial Reset (RNR) is a hands on release of restriction in the affected tissues, joint capsules, and nerve entrapment which causes a neurological change in your systems (reset and release) and therefore our perception of pain. RNR treatment is done fully clothed and movement is incorporated for the most effective release. The benefits of RNR offer the practitioner the ability to successfully treat the most complex painful musculoskeletal complaints that mainstream medicine offers little help such as sciatica, plantar fasciitis, shin splints, bursitis, frozen shoulder, back pain, migraines TMJ Disorder, vertigo, tinnitus, arthritis, knee pain, golfers and tennis elbow, and much more.
What is Trigger Point Therapy?
Trigger Point Therapy is a massage therapy technique that involves the application of pressure to specific points within tight muscles and connective tissue to relieve pain and dysfunction not only to where the treatment is being applied but to other parts of the body.
What is Dolphin Neurostim MPS therapy?
Dolphin Neurostim applies a unique stimulus to acupuncture treatment points that target specific pain conditions in the body. Dolphin MPS protocols instantly reduce stress and naturally release muscles and endorphins to relieve chronic pain through the body. This multi-pronged effect on the body’s nervous, muscular, and endocrine systems is why it works so quickly and effectively on many chronic pain conditions where other approaches fail.
What is scar tissue release therapy?
Scar tissue release therapy is a gentle and effective technique used to decrease discomfort, fascial adhesions or congestion of scar tissue. With surgery or major trauma, your body will not break down scar tissue completely and it can often lead to excessive tension, causing other parts of your body to compensate.
Ready to feel better fast?
Consider regular massage therapy treatments to free yourself from pain and function at the highest possible level. For more information, or to book your consultation, call us today or book an appointment online.